Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election


In a matter of hours we will know who the next President of the United States will be. Polls are opening around the country and we are sure to have a HUGE voter turnout today.

Thomas Jefferson once said "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate."

Your vote is important, participation in our country's democratic process is important.

We have a choice between two men, both qualified, both inspiring. I am choosing John McCain. I do not believe that Barack Obama is a radical Muslim, un-American, or any of the other "titles" that some have tried to put on him. I just believe that when it comes to leadership and a direction that is best for America, John McCain is my man. I strongly disagree with Obama's economic and health care plan and I think that they both are VERY flawed.

I am aware that the polls look like Obama will win, and if that is the case, he will be my President. I will pray for him and hope that I was wrong, and that our country becomes better for electing him.

Our country is very politically divided right now. We have the far religious right, we have the extreme liberal left and then the rest of us who fall somewhere in the middle. I think that we need to work towards a more unified America. We can disagree on the issues, we can debate policies, but we should remain respectful. Our politics on both sides have become nothing more than overblown personal attacks that do nothing to make our country better.

We live in the greatest country in the world. We are at our best when there is unity among us. As we move past this election cycle it is my hope that, no matter who wins, we would support our country's leadership and work toward America becoming the greatest force for good in the world that we can.

Perhaps we all need to be willing to listen to, and work with, people on the "other side" of where we personally stand.

1 comment:

The Legg Fam said...

We aren't so happy with how things turned out, but I guess time will show the rest of the country what some of us already know. I am wondering how much more in taxes will we be paying in the next 4 years. We think we are in ecomomic dowturn now, lets see what happens in a year. Hold on eveyone it is going to be a bumpy ride!!